SpringfieldMoms.org Family Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleep Issues with my 9 month old

4 posters

Go down

Sleep Issues with my 9 month old Empty Sleep Issues with my 9 month old

Post by Tara Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:52 pm

I am having trouble getting my 9 month old to sleep through the night. For a little over a month now she has been waking up several times throughout the night and it has been harder and harder for her fall asleep. My husband and I are finding that we are now taking her out of her crib more and rocking her back to sleep and if that doesn't work than we are bringing her in with us to sleep for the rest of the night. Everything I have read has said that we are doing more harm than good but they don't give any good advice except for letting her just cry it out. We did try that the other night and we only made it about ten minutes. Does anyone have any advice or tips for us?

Tara

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-02-20

http://www.cartersdrive.org

Back to top Go down

Sleep Issues with my 9 month old Empty Re: Sleep Issues with my 9 month old

Post by Jenna Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm not a "cry it out" supporter. (Many are, and I'm not judgemental!) If there is a real problem (pain, fear, etc.), forcing your child to self soothe is not going to help the problem or your relationship with each other. There's a book out there called the No Cry Sleep Solution that has very good ideas. This, like so many parenting issues, is a phase. I do sympathize, though. My daughter didn't consistently sleep through the night until she was well over 3. My boys on the other hand, were great sleepers.

Good luck to you.

Jenna

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Dillman Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:12 pm

I think every child is different and you just have to decide what you and your husband are comfortable with and what works for you. I have done it both ways... my daughter I didn't let cry and she is now 4 and still comes in to our bed EVERY night in the middle of the night. My son who I did let cry sleeps all night in his crib. Having said that, there was no way crying would have worked for her. We tried it once or twice and it was absolutely horrific. For him, he cried a few minutes and fell asleep. Good luck. It is really hard I know first hand. I remember so many nights up with my daughter!
Jen Dillman
Jen Dillman

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://www.jendillman.com; www.thedillmanblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpjen0816 Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:36 pm

I completely agree that crying it out does not work for all kids. We have a nine month old boy who does sleep through the night (7:00-6:30) but occasionally wakes (1-2x/month) and we find that it coincides w/teething or practicing/learning a new skill. When he wakes we give him about 5 mins to see if it's a 'transition cry' or the real deal. If it's the real deal, we (let's be honest ... *I*) Smile go into his room, sniff the room to make sure he hasn't pooped and that he's not bleeding, whisper that it's time to go to sleep, and walk out of the room. If he cries after that then he's likely in pain from teething so I give him Motrin or Tylenol, snuggle in the rocker for a couple minutes, then put him back in his crib awake but drowsy. I am a strong believer in "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth ... he provides strategies for parents based on whether they feel comfortable with no cry / let cry, etc. We have tried a variety of strategies based on how old our son was at the time and what he seemed to best respond to. Also, not sure if your daughter has been to the dr. recently - and our son has not had an ear infection yet so I'm not sure what that will all entail - but I have read that 9 mos is the prime age for EI's to begin and that can cause night-waking as well. Good luck and happy sleeping!
lpjen0816
lpjen0816

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down