SpringfieldMoms.org Family Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to School Eco-style

2 posters

Go down

Back to School Eco-style Empty Back to School Eco-style

Post by Jen Dillman Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Back To School … Eco-Style!

Here are some green tips to apply at school

According to the Green Book © 2007, each American consumes on average over 6 napkins per day! If we all use just 1 fewer napkin per day, it would save 150 million of them from hitting the trash can! Practically speaking, we still need to use napkins and paper towels, but we can set the example for schools to use recycled paper products and encourage less waste overall.

Thank you to Springfield Mom Noel Scott for sharing this great idea to rally a group of parents to order recycled paper products for the classroom. Many schools, preschools, daycares love to receive donations of supplies for the classroom.

Recycled Napkins and Paper Towels
Seventh Generation paper towels -- $1.22 per roll.
These paper towels are made from 100% recycled paper, with a minimum of 80% post consumer materials. The paper is whitened with an environmentally safe process and never with chlorine bleach. Contains NO dyes, inks or fragrances.

Seventh Generation paper napkins -- $2.89 for 250 napkins.
These napkins are made from 100% recycled paper, with a minimum of 80% post consumer materials. The napkins are soft and absorbent, hypo-allergenic and whitened with an environmentally safe process without chlorine bleach.

Lunch containers – Paper or Plastic? Actually neither.

The best solution is a reusable lunch box! www.laptoplunches.com She found a cool one to reduce your packaging at lunchtime.

Try replacing Ziploc bags and disposable containers and pre-sized snacks, with recyclable aluminum foil or better yet, refillable containers for food and drinks to be returned to home to wash.

Skip the plastic utensils and use good old flatware (find at the Dollar Store so there is no fear of losing your set for your home dining).

When I was a kid, we all used a cool Thermos for our drinks, now I know why! limit the Capri Sun packages!

Learn more about waste free lunches here: www.wastefreelunches.org
Jen Dillman
Jen Dillman

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://www.jendillman.com; www.thedillmanblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Back to School Eco-style Empty Re: Back to School Eco-style

Post by Kim L. Little Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Jen: I found cool Thermos's at County Market...Spiderman, Hannah Montana, Pink Flowers, you name it. There were between $12-$15 and will be the go everywhere bottles for my girls. The water stays so cold, they love it! We did learn the hard way not to leave it on a wooden table though...as they do sweat and leave water marks. Coasters are needed for the aluminum thermos's!
Kim L. Little
Kim L. Little

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-12-07

http://www.springfieldmoms.org

Back to top Go down