SpringfieldMoms.org Family Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Average babysitter wages?

+2
Kim L. Little
KimP
6 posters

Go down

Average babysitter wages? Empty Average babysitter wages?

Post by KimP Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:07 am

My boys are 3 and 5 years old and my husband and I have decided it's time to go see a movie that does not have animation, and maybe eat someplace that does not give crayons to the patrons Very Happy . We have never had a babysitter and are fairly new to the area. Can anyone tell me what would be a reasonable hourly rate to offer a babysitter looking after two boys? Thanks!
Kim

KimP

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down

Average babysitter wages? Empty Re: Average babysitter wages?

Post by Kim L. Little Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:25 pm

I am glad you are making these plans! Here is my two cents.

Rates depend on the age of the sitter and how long they have been babysitting...ask them what they charge

my rates are for two kids

my range is $5 an hour for the younger sitters and newer sitters
$7 an hour for the older and more experienced sitters (I do ask them to make sure toys are cleaned up and the kitchen, things are put away after a meal or whatever as well)
if they have been with our family several times and they do a nice job or do some extra things that I notice when I come home you can always add a special tip.....

when you are talking with a potential sitter ask what they charge and set your expectations clearly.
hope this helps!
Kim L. Little
Kim L. Little

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-12-07

http://www.springfieldmoms.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Dillman Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 pm

I agree with Kim. I pay similar amounts but I also try to make sure its worth their time. If we are gone 2 hours for dinner instead of giving them $14 I would probably give them $20 especially if they did a great job, etc. I also take into consideration if they drove and how far. I have a couple girls that live on my block and another girl who comes from across town so I try to pay her more as a result.
Jen Dillman
Jen Dillman

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-12-09

http://www.jendillman.com; www.thedillmanblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lisamarch Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:09 pm

I only hire babysitters who have their own cars, so that means they are 16-22 years old. I usually pay $9 per hour but I sometimes expect them to take my child somewhere like the park as part of the babysitting. If your kids go to a day care or preschool, one good place to find older babysitters is there. The teacher (or other employee there) knows your child, you can feel confident they have gone through screenings and know CPR, etc. And they often need the money and want the work. They charge more, but it's a great feeling to have someone that you can really trust.

lisamarch

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by sparklingruby Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:02 pm

We have one child and pay $7/hour.

sparklingruby

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Polhemus Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:35 am

The base rate I pay for my two kids is $5/hr. However, since most of my babysitters are into scrapbooking, and I sell scrapbook supplies from my home, I will pay them $7/hr in supplies for their albums.

I do take into account their current financial standing. Most of my babysitters are older and have LOTS of experience with children, but are financially strained. In those situations, I pay whatever I can and consider it a ministry to help needy families.
Jessica Polhemus
Jessica Polhemus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-12-20

http://www.mycmsite.com/jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down